The primary audience is CommScope partners, consultants and end users involved in detailed fiber specification, design, installation and project management who wish to understand the technology to a high level. For enterprise SYSTIMAX partners wishing to add this as a specialization to their Design and Engineering qualification it’s the first stage to becoming recognized as a fiber specialist.
No pre-requisite knowledge is required for this course although for SYSTIMAX enterprise students qualified in SP3321 Design and Engineering this becomes a specialist course. SP4400 is the pre-requisite itself to the SP4410 CommScope OSP Fiber Design and Engineering to qualify as a fiber specialist.
- Understanding fiber optic cabling technology and the theory behind it
- Ensure you, and those you are responsible for, understand the safety aspects
- Introduce CommScope’s cables and connectivity
- Overview the product portfolio with a specific look at SYSTIMAX enterprise products
- Review design methodology for links and channels and review the supporting documentation and tools
- Understand indoor installation practices for splicing, Qwik connector termination and pre-terminated products.
- Detailed look at the cleaning and testing requirements common to fiber optic systems and required for warranty support
- Introduction and Fiber Optic Safety – laser classification, common causes of accidents, laser precautions, tool safety, cable reel handling, chemicals.
- Transmission Theory – types, propagation, formulae, numerical aperture, TIR, Refraction, Attenuation – intrinsic and extrinsic, macro and microbending, dB, dispersion, spectral width, MFD, chromatic dispersion, singlemode, multimode.
- Fiber Types and DMD – LazrSPEED, TeraSPEED, manufacturing fiber optic, consolidation, measurement process, nano scaling, mixing fibers, mode conditioning cords, multimode vs singlemode. LEDs, Lasers, DMD, TIA942, High Resolution DMD, EMBc, Preforms, MCVD, Launch correspondence, cost, Zero Water Peak (ZWP), ITU specifications, WDM.
- Cable Design and Installation – Environmental considerations, physical characteristics, identification, cable protection, loose tube, stranded dielectric, buffer tubes, OSP cable, self supporting, tight buffer, breakout cables, distribution cables, duplex cables, indoor armored, tracking, applications.
- Connectors and Hardware – connector technology, LC, SC, STII, keyed LC, other types of connector, adhesive termination, polishing, inspection, Qwik II, couplers and adapters. Fiber panels, 360G2 shelves, InstaPATCH 360, UHD, splice options, wall mount, RFE floor enclosures.
- Pre-terminated Fiber Solutions – InstaPATCH 360 products, applications, modules, cords, panels, UHD, MPO, gender, duplex polarity, UHD polarity, ordering, implementation, installation MPO inspection, cleaning.
- Splicing – Safety, why splice? Fiber preparation, good cleaving, splicer types, principals of splicing, steps, PAS, V-groove, loss, tips for success, ARC.
- Fiber Solutions Design and Testing – Inspection, troubleshooting high loss, loss budgets, power budgets, insertion loss, loss calculations, test standards, CommScope guidelines and warranty requirements for testing, use of mandrels, Encircled Flux, OLTS Tier 1 testing, Testing InstaPATCH, documentation, OTDR tier 2, how it works, events, dead zones, loss and distance, ghosting, cords, testing correctly.
You will study this course online in a self- paced format. The course is made up of a number of webcast lessons and online multiple choice assessments giving immediate feedback. It is supported by a number of videos and downloadable support documentation.
Any level of pass in the accumulative overall assessment score.
If you specify, design, install or supervise fiber optic infrastructures of any kind and want to know more about how it works, which products to select how it fits together and how to inspect test and maintain it, then this course is for you.
Receive a certificate which can be self-printed. If you are a CommScope Partner you”ll be entered on the CommScope certification database and a badge is available to you via the Infrastructure Academy App if you are already qualified in SP3321 Authorized SYSTIMAX Engineering (ASE).
Certificate valid for 4 years
To purchase course: